For those of you that want to SPICE up your diet. How about some Habanero Vegan Chili
- 2 lbs. seitan (“wheat meat”)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped (use gloves to handle)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 14.5-oz. can black beans, do not drain
- 1 14.5-oz. can kidney beans, do not drain
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- Nonstick olive oil spray
- Place seitan in food processor; pulse until it has the consistency of ground beef and set aside.
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick olive oil spray. Add onion; cook over medium heat stirring frequently for 5 to 7 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add garlic, habanero pepper, and seitan; sauté over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until seitan is golden brown.
- Add chili powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add black beans, kidney beans, and tomatoes; cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until mixture is heated through.
- Reduce heat to low; continue to cook, mixing occasionally, for 5 minutes.
Serving Suggestion/Tip: Serve chili on top of cooked whole-grain pasta (1/2 cup). Any remaining chili can be frozen to be reheated at a later time.
Note: If habanero is too spicy for you, substitute with jalapeño.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes
NUTRITIONAL INFO: (per serving) (Makes 10 servings, about 1 cup each)
Calories 231 Fat 0g Saturated Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 613mg Carbs 26g Fiber 8g Sugar 2g Protein 31g