So you’ve been reading about my 3 month journey of losing weight in Part 1 and Part 2 as well as how it started in Part 3 but your saying, “enough, I want to know HOW you did it!!!” Well then, let’s start getting into the nuts and bolts.
In this post I’m going to tell you some of the tools I used that I feel everyone can use to get great results. When I set out on this journey I really wanted to prove that any person can do this. I also wanted to be able to show how you could do it at home in the cheapest way possible.
We didn’t join a gym and work out there. I didn’t get a personal trainer. We did it as economically as possible. I’ll get into that a little bit more in the diet and exercise posts coming next.
Let’s get into some of the tools we used:
- MyFitnessPal.com – This was the #1 tool we used. I also believe it was the most critical tool and the reason I lost weight. My Fitness Pal is a simple diet and fitness tracking website perfect for any person who wants basic features without a lot of bells and whistles. The site, which also has an app for iPhone and android users, offers a food diary, an exercise log, a few simple tools and a community forum for asking questions and getting advice. What’s great about it is it tracts all your entries and allows you to quickly enter previous items you eat or recent exercises and workouts. If you want the basics without having to get detailed this is the WAY TO GO. I do not believe I would have gotten the results I got without this.
- RunKeeper.com – this was a great iPhone app and website I used to track my walks or runs. It enables GPS tracking, distance, speed monitoring, caloric output, and activity history. You can use it just for running or in multiple other sports, including cycling, hiking, skiing, and swimming. Once your workout is complete, the data can be synced to your account on Runkeeper.com to keep track of your vital stats. I would then take my results and enter them into myfitnessplan.
- Wii or Xbox – At the beginning of the year we had bought a Wii and some fitness games. One of our favorites was Zumba 2. We used WiiFit almost daily to weigh ourselves and many of the exercises on it at the beginning to get into shape.
- DVD Player and Fitness DVD’s – We have Zumba DVD’s, Biggest Loser DVD’s, Jillian Michael’s DVD’s and even found a friend who let us borrow Insanity. DVD’s are a great way to workout right in your living room. Ours practically is our workout room now.
- Drink-O-Matic on the iphone or Drinking Water for an android phone – This is a great way to track your water as they will remind you to drink your water throughout the day.
You can do this. You can get a few tools and begin to change your heath and fitness level today. I would recommend you start with myfitnesspal if nothing else and begin daily tracking what you eat and do. It will be eye shocking.
In the next post we’re gonna get into my diet. Keep with me I know you are about to begin a journey to a new you as well.