We’ve talked tools and diet…now let’s talk exercise.
I intentionally wanted to work out at home. In many ways, I wanted to work as hard as I could at home to show anyone that they could do it if they put their mind and heart into it.
Going into May 1st my wife and I had kind of been working out. Early this year we bought a wii and purchased several fitness games.
You have to realize that going into 2012 I hadn’t worked out since 1994. We’re talking about a former college athlete…former competitive bodybuilder not working out in 18 years. I was totally out of shape and I knew I’d have to build up into this. You don’t spend 18 years getting out of shape to being in shape overnight.
So what we did is purchased several workout games and several workout video’s from Walmart and our living room became our gym. Jillian Michaels became my trainer. I started working out about four to five times a week to begin building up. Most of those were right at 30 minutes of cross-training workouts. Burning lots of calories. And then we would do Zumba on the wii. Zumba workouts started at around 30 minutes a session.
As the 90 days went we kept building the intensity. We purchased several more workout DVD’s and even found someone selling some Zumba videos really cheap on facebook.
One of the challenges in our contest was running a 5k which I did without training. It was the furthest I’d ever ran in one setting. At 30 days into the contest when I did it, I was still very much out of shape and I was so sore I laid in bed for two days. After that we started running/walking 3 miles a couple of times a week to build up for our next ones.
By the end of the 90 days I was doing INSANITY 6 days a week which we borrowed from a friend who wasn’t using it…never would have pictured myself doing that. Currently I have restarted INSANITY and am going through the full 60 days on it.
Now…on purpose, I went for more cardio and less strength training. Mainly because I didn’t have equipment or a gym…but a lot of my workouts did include some cross training that worked on body parts as well for toning.
So…to sum up.
- Workout DVD’s (Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, Zumba, Insanity, Biggest Loser DVD’s)
- Wii Games (Wii Fit, Zumba, Dancing Games, other fitness games)
- Park or your neighborhood
My thoughts on working out:
- Slowly work into it…you didn’t get out of shape overnight. You’re not going to get in shape overnight.
- Set a goal and go for it. My goal was to lose 50 lbs during our contest. That pushed me hard especially as I got in better and better shape.
- You can do it at home without a trainer. Don’t let anything be an excuse not to get started. Here’s a great post to help you get started.
- Ask some friends for tools. There is probably someone you know with workout DVD’s, P90X, Insanity, Zumba videos, ets… that are just collected dust. Ask and you might get.
- Start slow 3 to 4 times a week for 30 minutes with some cross training DVD’s and get out and walk for about 30 minutes three times a week for your first month.
- The second month start jogging or bike riding and do more cross training.
- Third month pick up your intensity even more. By this time you will be surprised what you can do. Work to where you’re burning an extra 500 to 1000 calories 4 to 6 times a week each day.
- If you can afford a trainer or a gym I would suggest highly to get with one. Remember I came with a strong background in working out especially since I trained others. A trainer can put you on a system to help you get going. But if you can’t….DON’T let that be an excuse.
- Don’t let pride get in your way to losing weight. Yes I did ZUMBA…yes I trained to Jillian Michaels DVD’s…yes I worked out to Wii games. I’m also 45 pounds lighter…do whatever it takes.
You can do it. Quit putting it off and get off your butt’s. Start now.
Check out the first post where you will find links to all the rest of the posts in this series: My Weight Loss Revolution Part 1